Blueberry Muffins

With my dad's eye swollen by a nasty insect bite, I decided to do a bit of baking to cheer him up. Luckily, he had recently spotted a sale on blueberries during his last trip to the market, so I made his favorite breakfast item--blueberry muffins!

I came across several different muffin recipes, all calling for very different amounts of flour, fats, and sugar. It was a tough call, but I settled with this recipe because it had 2,141 votes of confidence. How can you really compete against that kind of support?

I skipped the crumb topping since everyone in my family is watching their sugar intake. Plus, I wanted to keep things simple. This recipe could not have been easier to recreate. I didn't even have to pull out a mixer to help do the work. These muffins were completely made by hand, and it was a strangely satisfying experience.

The muffins came out of the oven much paler than I anticipated, but they at least had nice, rounded tops. My dad thought that they were too sweet, but my mom and I enjoyed the taste of it. However, I had used skim milk instead of whole milk in the recipe so the muffins were dry. I really need to invest in whole milk, or as Cook's Illustrated claims, I could supplement the skim milk with some heavy cream to get the same effect.

I would love to try this recipe again because it was so quick and easy to put together. Next time, I will use whole milk and perhaps reduce the sugar by a teensy bit. I wouldn't mind experimenting with other fruits--strawberries, apricots, cherries. The blueberries tasted great in the muffins, much better than in the pie, and they produced such a lovely deep, royal purple-blue color.

Blueberry Muffins (from AllRecipes)
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a muffin tin by lining the cups with cupcake liner. (This recipe makes 8 muffins, but I somehow stretched it to 9.)

Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a measuring cup with the capacity to hold at least 1 cup of liquid, pour in the oil, milk, and egg until the 1 cup mark is reached; now stir in the cup. Incorporate the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, being careful to not overmix. When there is a trace of flour still unmixed, STOP and fold in the blueberries.

Divide the batter into the muffin tin. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.


I hope you all have a great Thursday! The weekend is almost here!

3 comments:

  1. Prudy said...

    What lovely muffins. I was eying some this morning at a little bakery for an outrageous price. I need to make my own. Lucky family-muffins can make everyone feel good!  

  2. Anonymous said...

    Good luck in grad school! I'd love to make it through pasrty school as well, one day!

    If you find the CIA book, let me know! THAT is a book I'd love to cook through...who knows, maybe we can start our own blogging group!

    The muffins look great, btw- it sounds like with the adjustments they will be absolutely perfect! Gorgeous picture, too!  

  3. Cecilia said...

    Prudy: Muffins are always a great way to start the morning. They also make for great snacks...

    Teanna: I've spotted the CIA book at B&N, but I don't know if I can fork over that much money for it. It's quite pricey. It would be an interesting blogging group topic, though. It would keep me on a deadline that's for sure.