I hope you all had a happy and exciting weekend. I certainly did. I fully took advantage of the three-day weekend to celebrate the Fourth of July with much rest and relaxation. I skipped over the fireworks and grilling, but I've never been one for such celebrations. No, Fourth of July weekend has long meant watching Wimbledon coverage on television all day long. Back in Pete Sampras's hey day, I would actually tape matches during the week and catch up on them on the weekend.

This year was no different, and I was rewarded with one of the best matches I have ever watched. From 8 in the morning until 3:30 in the afternoon on Sunday, I was parked in front of the television to watch the championship final between Nadal and Federer. It was thoroughly enjoyable, but since the match went longer than expected, I wasn't able to join my parents at my future abode and help with the ongoing renovations. My parents understood my need to witness this match (I mean, I've been watching Wimbledon since Pete Sampras won in 1995), but I still felt guilty about lounging at home while they were doing some heavy duty stuff. To assuage my guilt, I decided to make the Double Crusted Blueberry Pie, which was this week's Tuesdays with Dorie selection as chosen by Amy of South in Your Mouth. I wasn't planning on making it because I'm not a big fan of blueberries, but my dad is.

The pie recipe was relatively straightforward. While I tossing the blueberries with sugar and lemon juice for the filling, my mom plucked a blueberry from the mixing bowl and tried it. No one in my family has ever had fresh, uncooked blueberries, so we were all curious. My mom liked it, but the blueberries were too tart for my liking. My mom enjoyed the mixture so much that she asked if I could forget about making the pie and let her eat the plain filling instead. My decision is obvious...

I thought the pie was all right. Blueberries aren't my favorite, so this pie naturally wasn't my favorite. Despite the cup of sugar tossed with the blueberries, it was still too tart. Maybe with a different fruit next time? Apple? Peach? Strawberry? In the meantime, if you want to try this recipe out for yourself, visit Amy for the full details.

Happy Tuesday!

28 comments:

  1. Engineer Baker said...

    Seriously? You'd never had fresh blueberries? I think I go through 5# of them every summer, at least!  

  2. Prudy said...

    I made a blueberry pie years ago and didn't love it, so I went with apricots this time. Your pie looks lovely, maybe try another fruit next time.  

  3. Anonymous said...

    I am sorry you didn't like it much! But it looks great! And I'm glad you enjoyed the match, it was fantastic!  

  4. Mrs. Mighton said...

    I just joined TWD. Your pie looks so much better than mine! It was my first pie. I'm sorry your pie came out too tart. Blueberries can really vary in taste. I tasted my blueberries before I put them in and a few were tart and a few were sweet -- and that's how my pie turned out -- kind of a mix. Oh well. Great job!  

  5. Anonymous said...

    Oh do try this crust out with other fillings. I'll bet you'd love it.  

  6. The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

    I'm not a huge fan of blueberries either and can't wait to try this with different fruits or even a chocolate cream. Great job!  

  7. Annemarie said...

    That is the flakiest crust I've seen yet!  

  8. Susie Homemaker said...

    That pie is absolutely beautiful!!Great job!  

  9. Anonymous said...

    Sorry the pie wasn't quite what you wanted. It looks fabulous though!  

  10. ostwestwind said...

    It's a great experience to pick bluberries directly into you mouth. Sorry that you weren't satisfied, it looks delicious!

    Ulrike from Küchenlatein  

  11. PheMom said...

    Very nice job. It looks lovely!  

  12. Bumblebutton said...

    It does look lovely, and you are a trooper for using blueberries when you don't enjoy them!  

  13. Summertime said...

    Oh, man, we love fresh blueberries here and just eat them out of hand :) Your pie look wonderful. You should definitely try the crust with other fillings. I think I am going to, too, just because the crust recipe is so good.  

  14. Christine said...

    I am sorry that you didn't like the blueberry pie. Your pie looks beautiful!  

  15. Sharon said...

    Well, your pie looks great even if you didn't like the taste of the blueberries.  

  16. Dolores said...

    Wow. It never ceases to amaze me how various people experience culinary "firsts". Sorry the blueberries weren't a better fit, but glad you made the pie for people who loved it. That's *always* gratifying. Great job!  

  17. Mari said...

    Deja vu...I spent the weekend in the UK watching the tennis and helping with renovations, as well! Your pie looks great, even it wasn't to your taste.  

  18. Anonymous said...

    Well, I just love it when new things are experienced and learned and you did such a nice job of this pie. It looks wonderful...and I bet your next one will be an even bigger hit with a berry you like.  

  19. Steph said...

    Wow! I love your crust, it is so flaky and brown on top. I love blueberries so much I can eat them by the pint in one sitting!  

  20. Anonymous said...

    Well, now that you have had fresh blueberries you can move on to other fruits with full confidence that they are a better choice for you. Beautiful pie.  

  21. allison said...

    Sorry you didn't like the blueberry. I liked this pie so much that your suggestion of other fruits is making me want to bake again...I'm thinking strawberry for my next one  

  22. Linda said...

    This year's mens finals ROCKED! As your Dad is a blueberry fan, curious to hear how he enjoyed the pie...regardless, great job!  

  23. Anonymous said...

    Fresh are the way to go. Your pie looks lovely!  

  24. steph- whisk/spoon said...

    wow--sure looks good, anyway!  

  25. Kaitlin said...

    Love that big "x" on the pie. Looks delicious. I wonder if your blueberries were too sour in the first place? It's a shame that you didn't love the pie :(  

  26. Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

    Your pie looks wonderful! Sorry you didn't care for it, my husband isn't a blueberry fan either. Strange that yours was too tart, I'd blame it on that batch of berries, my pie turned out almost too sweet.  

  27. Cecilia said...

    Linda: I don't think my dad is a big fan of the pie. He hasn't had a slice yet. :(

    Kait: The blueberries were tart, in my opinion, in the first place. That's why I had reservations about proceeding with the recipe because I knew it wouldn't be something I would like.

    Andrea: Maybe we should switch pies? Or meld them together!

    To All: Thank you.  

  28. Jaime said...

    looks great! i can't believe you had never tried fresh uncooked blueberries before!