Baking: TWD Florida Pie

Oh, summer has never seemed so appealing. Now that I am done with finals and am in the midst of my last real summer vacation, I fully intend on making the most of it. To celebrate my last moments of freedom, I baked something--a sunny Florida Pie! I was disappointed that I missed out on this particular Tuesdays with Dorie selection last week due to finals, so I woke up bright and early on Monday morning and whipped it up. I would have liked to make the madelines that Tara of Smells like Home selected for this week's TWD, but I didn't have the special, pretty baking pan. It broke my heart because I ADORE madelines, but it wasn't meant to be this week. Maybe later?

The pie itself was easy to put together (well, I sort of cheated; I used a *gasp* store-bought graham cracker crust); so much so that I got ambitious and set out to make the meringue topping. It was all going very well...
But I got a hard lesson on rushing things in baking. Since I had a dentist appointment to make that morning, I thought I would be clever and make the meringue ahead of time while the pie cooled for a bit in the freezer. Once I got the firm, soft peaks of white, I fixed myself some lunch and got ready for a day out. Wrong move. When I was done getting ready and went out to the kitchen to finish the pie, my beautiful meringue was deflated. All that was left in the mixing bowl was a soupy mess of shredded coconut and egg whites.

Luckily, the pie turned out fine without the meringue topping. It wasn't as pretty, but it worked. The taste wasn't bad either. When I took my first bite, I thought that it was weird and not so delicious. I mean, I've never had key lime pie before; the idea of eating something tart as a dessert goes against everything that I stand for. As I devoured the slice below, the taste grew on me. Now I'm kind of addicted and have to sneak in a tiny sliver before and after meals. Oh, summer has never been such a sweet treat.

Ingredients (from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours)

  • 1 9-inch graham cracker crust
  • 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cups shredded sweetened coconut
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
Heat the cream and coconut over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is reduced to half its volume. Set that aside.

Using a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks on high speed until their smooth, thick, and paler in color. On low speed, pour in the condensed milk. Once that's all mixed in, mix in the lime juice, a half of a cup at a time.

Pour in the coconut cream into the prepared crust. SLOWLY pour the lime mixture on top. Smooth over the top with the back of a spoon before popping the pie into an oven preheated at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes. Cool the pie for 15 minutes, and then place it in the freezer to set for at least an hour before serving.

12 comments:

  1. CB said...

    I am bummed I missed this one too but its on my must-bake list! Glad you liked it! Great pick! :)
    Clara @ I♥food4thought  

  2. Cheryl said...

    I looove that pie! It was a huge hit when I served it, even with people who don't like coconut.

    My meringue got all weepy, and next time I think I'll just use whipped cream instead.  

  3. Melissa said...

    I'm disappointed I missed the pie as well...looks great!  

  4. Anonymous said...

    I was wondering about you! Haven't seen any TWD posts. The pie looks so smooth and delicious - but I'll tell you, I cheated and used whipped cream instead of meringue!!  

  5. Casa Costello said...

    Glad to hear of another addictee! We have had this twice this week! Hx  

  6. Jayne said...

    I'm addicted too. I don't even think it needs the meringue - I made it, and really, the best part was the filling. Glad you liked it!  

  7. Jaime said...

    great job! i had some issues w/my meringue as well... still tasted great though :)

    hope you did well on your finals!  

  8. Gretchen Noelle said...

    Lovely job on this. I think it may have tasted better without the meringue topping.  

  9. Anonymous said...

    Ooh, I've got to go back and do this one. I love key lime pie, so this looks like trouble. ;)  

  10. mimi said...

    yes, the taste grows on you until you eat the whole pie and wonder why you have a belly ache! sorry about the meringue but glad the pie came out good!  

  11. Anonymous said...

    Isn't the week immediately following finals week the best? Your pie looks great. Hope to see the madeleines sometime!  

  12. Cecilia said...

    Thank you all for your kind, kind words! The pie is still in my freezer, and I'm enjoying a slice a day to cool off a bit from all the heat that Oklahoma is getting these days.