Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream

With the hot weather, I was very excited that Dolores of Chronicles of Culinary Curiosity chose Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie selection. Though I am grateful to Dolores for her pick, I am forever indebted to David Lebovitz. Following a link publicized on The Kitchn, I found a tutorial that David put together for people not fortunate enough to own an ice cream maker. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond with the intention of procuring an ice cream maker, but I changed my mind at the last minute because I'm one for old-fashioned ways.

I didn't have any edible blueberries on hand when I set out on this frozen adventure, but I thought strawberries were a nice edition. With such few ingredients, this creamy base was a breeze to put together. Then came the long wait with breaks every 30 minutes to beat the ice cream mixture with a hand mixer. My wait was made much, much sweeter with the amazing swim from the U.S. men's 4x100-meter freestyle relay team that I witnessed on Sunday night. I love watching the Olympics, and I have never been more riveted while watching an event in my life. Jason Lezak was uh-mazing!

I can't say the same for my frozen treat. The ice cream was just all right. My brother, who is a strawberry ice cream addict, wasn't a big fan. It tasted more like strawberry yogurt. I was very pleased with the texture, though. It wasn't as creamy as store-bought ice cream, but David Lebovitz's method gets the job done. I'm definitely going to experiment more.

If you want to try your hand at this recipe, check out Dolores's blog for the full details. Don't forget to visit all the TWDers and see what they've all been up to!

17 comments:

  1. CB said...

    Mmmm strawberry ice cream. Yum! Glad the non-cream maker worked for you! Bummer it wasn't a favorite but I look forward to other variations you plan to make in the future.
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought  

  2. ~Kimberly said...

    Awwww. As much as I love blueberries, I have to say that strawberries are even better! I bet that ice cream was mouth watering! It looks delicious!  

  3. Megan said...

    Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with the ice cream either. Although strawberry was a great idea!!

    And yay for you for trying to do it "the old fashioned way"!  

  4. Anonymous said...

    I would had thought Strawberries would had been fantastic. Your photo looks very much like summer!  

  5. Susie Homemaker said...

    I'm with you...the Mens swim team was way more amazing than this ice cream..though that was a nice idea with the strawberry sub!  

  6. Dolores said...

    I'm glad to see so many people had success with David's method; I'm only sorry the recipe didn't work a little better for you. It LOOKS amazing. And you're right about Sunday night's swimming... wow!  

  7. Brooke said...

    Man, somehow I missed the post on making ice cream without a maker. Now I feel like a loser.  

  8. Summertime said...

    I can't wait to try other kinds of berries/fruit in this thing. I'm thinking a peach/sour cream/brown sugar version would be good. I just need to get the Lebovitz method down. Yours looks great! I would never have guessed it wasn't made in an ice cream maker.  

  9. Anonymous said...

    You did get a really nice texture. That's half the battle.  

  10. Anonymous said...

    I was going to pick up an ice cream maker, but you've talked me into trying Dave's way first. Should be fun!  

  11. Mari said...

    Hey Cecilia, did you macerate the strawberries to up the strawberry flavor of the ice cream first, or did follow the recipe for the blueberries and cook them? I can imagine that the later wouldn't work as well with strawberries.  

  12. Anonymous said...

    Very nice work taking on the hand method. I do so like the idea of strawberries in this, it's too bad it didn't work out so hot. Hope you keep up ice cream making old-fashioned style!  

  13. Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

    Stawberry! Yum!  

  14. Cecilia said...

    I've been enjoying the ice cream the last couple of nights while watching Olympic action. Summer nights totally rock!

    Thank you all for your comments. The flavor of the ice cream has oddly improved as the days have gone by. The sour cream flavor has mellowed and the strawberries definitely shine more.

    Rebecca: Absolutely give David's method a try. It has more ice crystals than normal ice cream, but it gets the job done. Plus, it's super rewarding to do something by hand.

    Mari: I did macerate the strawberries, so the base of the ice cream was full of flavor and sweet. The sour cream was too strong the first day, but it has kind of faded now. Good thinking, though. Strawberries aren't the same as blueberries.  

  15. Nickki said...

    The ice cream looks so good! Sorry it wasn't so great for you.  

  16. Jacque said...

    I think yogurt flavored is a good description... you're absolutley right.

    Yours looks delicious! I'm glad you ended up liking it.  

  17. Anonymous said...

    That looks so good and smooth! The color is so soft and beautiful!