Granola Grabbers

As a girl constantly on the go, I almost always have a granola bar of some type in my purse. Pre-packaged in a nice little serving and possessing a tad too much sweetness, granola bars are a great pick-me-up after a couple of hours lecture or after a long, hardcore shopping fest. I love granola in all forms, so much so that I attempted to make my own granola last year with relative success. Considering that I am such a fan of granola, I started this week's Tuesdays with Dorie selection with much gusto.

And, oh, did it disappoint.

Chosen by Michelle of Bad Girl Baking, the Granola Grabbers were a quick and easy make. Throw together some butter, sugar, egg, nuts, fruits, and grains, and then pop it into the oven. For these cookies, I used my fancy, au naturel granola that I had bought from a hippie health food store way back when. Per a suggestion made by a fellow TWD member, I replaced some of the raisins with chocolate chips. I debated adding more chocolate chips to the mix, but I decided against it because some members on the discussion thread had complained about the Grabbers being too sweet.

After tasting the cookies, I wished that I had gone with my gut instinct. My Grabbers weren't overly sweet for some reason, and they could have been benefited from the extra dimension that the chocolate chips would have added. I'm not really sure what was off about these cookies. The texture was fine, the sweetness level was good, and the taste of all the ingredients shined through. I happen to love all of the dried goods that I added to the batter--coconut, raisins, peanuts, chocolate chips, and granola. Maybe the mixture of all my favorite things was too much for my taste palate. Maybe I set out to make these Granola Grabbers with too much anticipation, and you know how that goes. If you expect too much, the more you'll be disappointed.

If you want to try this recipe and figure out what it is exactly that I didn't like about these cookies, visit Michelle for more details. As usual, don't forget to check out the other TWDers to see some lovely photos of this week's selection.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

22 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    I liked them a lot, but I know what you mean...sometimes you can love each of the ingredients, but the thing as a whole can be kind of meh. Oh well, there's always next week! Your cookies are gorgeous, anyway.  

  2. Megan said...

    Oh bummer! I think I would have liked the addition of chocolate, but maybe you're right - too much crammed into one cookie could be TOO MUCH!  

  3. Shandy said...

    There is a lot of stuff packed into these little cookies. Your cookies look delicious though. Chocolate is definitely great in these =D  

  4. Engineer Baker said...

    Sorry you weren't a huge fan, but if you think they'd improve with chocolate, just drizzle some melted chocolate right on top! Maybe that will save them?  

  5. Anonymous said...

    Your grabbers look great! It looks like you put peanut butter chips, even though you didn't. That'd be a great addition, peanut butter and chocolate chips! mmm....Great job  

  6. CB said...

    Bummer you weren't a fan. I guess lesson learned. Always go with your gut (literally and figuratively). LOL. Cookies look yummy nonetheless. Great job!
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought  

  7. The Food Librarian said...

    I wish I had added chocolate chips to mine. The photos are GREAT though! :)  

  8. Sihan said...

    that looks like an awful lot of good stuff all in one cookie! Wonderful work there!  

  9. Steph said...

    Oh no!! I am so sorry that you didn't like them! But they do look mighty tasty, and I love that you played with the recipe!  

  10. Pamela said...

    I think your cookies look delicious, that's for sure. Sorry that it wasn't what you were hoping for, though. :o(  

  11. Steph said...

    I agree with you I wish I could have liked them better.  

  12. ~Kimberly said...

    Oh, chocolate chips sound like that would just be icing on the cake. I wish I would have thought to add those. Your cookies really do look yummy!  

  13. Kana said...

    Too much of a good thing perhaps?  

  14. Anonymous said...

    Wow, these look amazing!  

  15. Shelby said...

    I don't know...but they look good to me! I really enjoyed mine. :)  

  16. Anonymous said...

    I'm like you -- I wasn't wowed by them, but they made a nice snack.  

  17. Ellen and Tom said...

    You know, this was my 2nd time making them and even with the addition of choc chips this time, I still wasn't crazy about them. I agree with you - something was missing, despite all the great ingredients.  

  18. Jules Someone said...

    I'm so sorry that you didn't like it. This was one of our favorites.  

  19. Mari said...

    What a bummer that you were disappointed. I didn't think mine were overly sweet either, but I used a low sugar organic granola, like yourself. I can imagine if you used a commercial highly sweetened granola, the results would be very different.  

  20. Anonymous said...

    Maybe if you used a different granola? I thought they tasted a bit like an oatmeal cookie. Your cookies do look wonderful!  

  21. Piggy said...

    sorry that you didn't like them. but I think yours looks really good.  

  22. Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

    Mmmm. Your cookies look good!