You know that time is flying by when you don't realize that it's been a while since you've last baked anything. I didn't notice that it had been over a week since I last tinkered with the oven until my dad brought it up on Tuesday night, asking if I was planning to bake something for dessert. I've been busy working, writing, crocheting, watching movies, and hanging out with friends; I hadn't given a thought to baking, so I went with something extremely easy to make--the yogurt cake.

I was first introduced to this dessert during my senior year of college when I was hanging out with the French exchange students from Clermont-Ferrand. One of the French girls had brought over a deliciously moist cake topped with pineapple for our weekly Desperate Housewives watch party. When I asked for the recipe, the girls told me that there wasn't really a recipe; it was all about proportions with the yogurt cake. After learning the ratios of the ingredients needed for this cake, I promptly went home and tried it out with different add-ins. The rest is history. The yogurt cake is my go-to recipe whenever I need a quick sugar fix; it's super tasty but incredibly simple to put together, so much so that this is apparently the first cake that French children learn to bake.

I decided to keep things simple, so I didn't add anything special to the batter like strawberries or chocolate chips. Instead, I just added a couple of splashes of vanilla and rum, and then I called it a day. The cake has a subtle taste, which is oddly attractive; it's not too sweet and it's not bland. This cake is the perfect, down-the-middle kind of dessert. If you have never made or tasted a yogurt cake, I highly recommend you run out to the market for some yogurt and get to work immediately!

Plain Yogurt Cake
Ingredients

  • One 8-ounce tub (use this as a measuring cup) of nonfat, plain yogurt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tub white sugar
  • 1/3 tub vegetable oil
  • 2 hearty splashes of golden rum
  • 2 splashes of vanilla extract
  • 2 tubs all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
Mix together the yogurt, eggs, sugar, and oil in a large bowl until smooth. Once smooth, stir in the rum and vanilla, adding them to taste.

Sift all of the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture. Then mix the batter until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Be careful not to overwork the dough, so stop mixing as soon as you see the last trace of flour begin to disappear.

Pour the batter into a 10-inch, ceramic tart pan sprayed with Baker's Joy baking spray. Place the cake into an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and bake for 25-30 minutes. As soon as a cake tester poked into the center of the cake comes out clean, remove the cake from the oven. Allow it to cool to room temperature before cutting into it.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    This looks absolutely delectable. I'll try it. I could surely do with a go to yogurt cake.  

  2. Zakia / Avenue Z Desserts said...

    ive been seeing various recipes for yogourt cakes. im going to have to try this. interesting info about this being the first cake that French children learn to bake, i may have to teach this to my neice.  

  3. Bungalow Barbara said...

    Thanks for the recipe! This sounds wonderfully easy. I love the idea of measuring in the yogurt cup.

    There's another recipe for French yogurt cake in Dorie's "Baking: From My Home to Yours" -- French Yogurt Cake with Marmalade Glaze, p. 224-225. The proportions are a little different, though.  

  4. Cecilia said...

    Thank you for the nice words. I really hope that you all find the time to make a yogurt cake in the near future. Let me know how it turns out!

    Barbara: I had no idea that Dorie included a recipe for yogurt cake in the book. I'll have to check that out ASAP.  

  5. Anonymous said...

    hi Cecilia!

    guess what? I put this recipe on my blog not so long ago! That's so funny!

    Here it is -> http://trishia-hysteria.mabulle.com/index.php/2008/04/08/133314-pear-mango-cake

    It's another version cos you can put any yoghurt in it relly just to have another taste...
    try it sometimes, its D-E-licious!
    miss ya tons
    xx
    trish  

  6. Anonymous said...

    We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)